Skip to main content

Creating Canvas

Making a canvas.

It always makes more sense to make your own canvas when there is a size that isn't readily available in the stores. This canvas is 38" high by 66" long. Also, it's a gallery style, so 1 1/2 " deep.

It all starts out with a frame.

(The frame above is a regular canvas, not a gallery style, but it's the same principal but with the thicker part of the wood facing the sides)

Then we cut and wrap the canvas.
You want to cut a good 2-3 extra inches. It's always easier to cut an inch than to try and find it.


The corners are difficult. Always. You just have to be patient and get creative.

The trickiest part is the inner frame. For larger canvases, a double frame works best.
You have to tuck in the extra and cut before putting in the inner support frame.


With this canvas I applied primed canvas. 
How this differs from unprimed is that there is going to be slack no matter how hard you pull when you staple the canvas on.



Having slack is not something that you want to paint on so it's best to spray water 
(any old squirt bottle will work) and spray the back of the canvas where it is not primed. 
(The gessoed canvas is impenetrable and the water will not work). 
As it's winter, I also put a heater on it.



You can see the difference already.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You've Got Mail

I managed to take photos the other day before I sent off a 6" by 6" panel. I thought that a few might be interested in how I try to make sure that you're artwork gets to you unscathed.  Before I do any wrapping, I make sure that all the information is on the back of your purchased art piece. Title, medium, size, Artists name (because my signature is impossible to decipher). Also I print an inventory number which will look something like 026.2018. 1. I wrap all boards/canvases in wax paper. There will be no smudging on my watch. 2. Bubblewrap comes next as I do not want corners dinged.    3. Tissue paper is the third wrap. This is a gift for you or someone you love and I  want you to feel like it's a present when you open it. 4. Inside your envelope you will find:  A Thank You card - because it's important for you to know that you are appreciated.  Two business cards for you to share with others Your invoice and receipt  One

Color!

Did someone say they wanted a painting with color? HOT Pink! available as original or as a Print!  

SOLD

I want to send out a thank you to Antoinette for making my week! Having just purchased these top three paintings... she is adding to the painting she purchased last year. Quite a collection! Thank you!